Friday, June 16, 2017

Vacation Time

So we have been on vacation this week and LAWD have mercy is it needed.  It just feels so wonderful to not HAVE to get up at 5:30 and work for someone else.

Where did we go?  I'm glad you asked.  We went to South Carolina, near Pawley's Island, just south of Myrtle Beach. Myrtle Beach is just way too busy.  Too many people and too commercialized.  You can't go 5 feet without a restaurant or one of those shops that sells cheap beach stuff, nothing over $5.99.  For me it cause stimulation overload.  The noise and traffic.  UGH!!!!!!

So Litchfield Resort is simply wonderful.  We booked this a few months back so the prices were really reasonable and I saved up for it so even though we charged the room, it is paid for.

The weather was really nice.  Hot of course but not too bad.  Nice and breezy especially at night.  It was almost cold when we went to the beach Wednesday night to watch the waves.

We didn't scimp out on anything but we also didn't go shopping.  We ate 1 meal a day at dinner and we ate good.  One night at Quigleys, one night at Pastoria 811 and one night at Habenero's.  All meals were really good.  Quigleys was especially relaxing.  We saw our one and only alligator there.  That is the one thing the hubster wanted to do was to see an alligator.  Mission accomplished.  LOL.  He really was quite cute swimming around and looking at us and the others.

We spent one day at the beach and one day at the pool.  We rent an umbrella at the beach and beach goers must think I am a vampire because I cover myself with towels even under that umbrella.  I do tan well but.........I don't want to burn because some of my medications don't mix well with sunlight.  Plus I really don't enjoy sitting on a towel cooking myself under the hot southern sun for hours on end.  Then we rent a cabana at the pool.  It is lovely.  It has a ceiling fan and televison.   All of the comforts of home whilst a few feet away from cool relief.  AHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now we are back to reality.  Just Friday, Saturday and Sunday then back to so called real world.

I did have a light bulb moment in our room.  We stayed at the Seaside Inn, the rooms were quite small and kind of dark..............I would recommend them to have more light.  But I digress.  Packing up to come back was that light bulb moment.  Just looking at what all we packed was really distressing.  Did we need to bring all of this stuff?  Nope..........Do we need all of this stuff?  Nope..........Did we use all of it?  Nope.................Why did I pack it?  heck, why did I buy it in the first place?  So while I will never be a true minimalist, it sure caused me to question my buying habits.  Gosh I kind of thought I was doing good or at least better than what I used to be but this situation hit me between the eyes.  I found packing up to leave causing me a bit of anxiety.  That got me thinking.............having choices can be a great thing.  This dish detergent is cheaper than that one kind of thing but sometimes having too many THINGS to choose FROM can be daunting.  Do you agree?  Take clothing..........do I need a closet full of clothes or could I be happier with a few chosen pieces that go with everything else?  While walking one day at the beach I listened to a podcast by the Minimalists and clutter was their first episode.  Cleaning out their closets, trimming down their wardrobe was one of the first things they did when they decided to take this path.

So here are a few photos of our 3 days in SC:
Displaying IMG_0628.JPG

Displaying IMG_0635.JPG
met this cutie on our beach day.  His name is Kenu and yes he is wearing sunglasses.  
Displaying IMG_0637.JPG
We went to see the movie The Mummy one night at this really nice shopping center that had horse drawn carriages.  Isn't he a beauty?
Displaying IMG_0648.JPG
Our cabana looked like this
Displaying IMG_0657.JPG
Majestic looking isn't he?
Displaying IMG_0659.JPG
the way back to Raleighwood
Displaying IMG_0661.JPG
Hello Gtown!

Displaying IMG_0631.JPG
that one alligator

Displaying IMG_0650.JPG

Displaying IMG_0653.JPG


4 comments:

  1. None of your photos would load for me Lee Ann. Sounds nice. We aren't a fan of Myrtle Beach either due to the noise and crowds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. You had such fun. We used to have a place on Edisto Island. I love the South Carolina beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't see your photos either. When you said you had one meal a day, did you mean a meal you ate out at a restaurant or just one meal a day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's odd because I see them. Hmm I'm not savvy.
      We ate out once a day usually late afternoon. We would eat crackers or maybe not at all. When I'm hot I usually lose my appetite

      Delete