Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Why I Want Out of the Rat Race

My husband just called me at work.  The wife of one of his good friends is in the hospital needing a liver transplant and it does not look good.  They've been told nothing else can be done.  The family has petitioned the transplant team to reconsider their decision.  From what my husband told me, she's only been retired about 5 years.  Wow!!  You work so hard to be able to enjoy your later years and this happens.  Now I know it happens to many people.  Some people don't even have the 5 years she has enjoyed but it has me really thinking.


This is why I want out.  I want to be able to enjoy my life.  I am not expecting to be able to travel all around the world or spend extravagantly on jewels and cars and houses.  I really want a simple life and being able to do what I want when I want and not have to plan everything around my employer's schedule.  I want to be able to get in the car and drive to the mountains or beach.  Yep we are lucky like that.  North Carolina has both and we are centrally located so it isn't a bad drive either way.  I want to be able to help others out without feeling like I am putting my department in a bind.  I want to wake up when I want to and not to the sound of the alarm clock.  I want to be able to run errands during the day, not when I am dog tired from work and in crowds of other folks who just got off as well.  I want to be more involved with my church and other ministries.  Especially those who help the working poor or pregnancy life homes 


Five years really isn't enough to be able to enjoy all of that.  What she and her family are going through right now is so sad.


Please pray for Helen and for her family.

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your blog and thought I would say hello from NC. :) I am one of those that wants to get out of the rat race too. I have 7 years until I can retire with insurance benefits and will be 59. The first thing I hear is that's too young to retire, you will be bored..etc. My husband is already retired and we plan on enjoying our life together doing what we want without a schedule to follow. Those drives to the beach and mountains are great aren't they? On a more serious note,thoughts and prayers for Helen. We never know how short and precious life really is. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete