Wednesday, March 15, 2017

I Don't Know How Much Longer I Can Take IT

I looked at my retirement calculator at work and according to it I still have to work 7 years, 11 months and 3 days for me to be eligible for insurance at retirement.  Honest to goodness I don't really know if I can last that long.  Everything and I do mean everything gets on my last nerve.  We have only 1 debt and that is my car payment.  It is just over $14000.00.  There is a part of me that wants to throw every red cent to it to get rid of it but............there is this other part of me that also wants to save as much as possible since we've we so bad about that for so many years.


We could make it on the hubster's salary.  It would be a real stretch but we could do it.  He is not so fond of that idea if you can relate. 


I'm just so ready to throw in the towel. 


What would you do?

7 comments:

  1. Could you leave your current job for another? or must you stay where you are in order to be eligible for ins once you do retire? 57 is young to retire unless you have a plan. Agree to lose any debt, if realistically possible. Tomorrow is another day. . . hth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I stay will be 63 at retirement.

      Delete
  2. Take it one day at a time. Why is your husband reluctant? Does he think staying home is a cakewalk? My husband used to say that he was grateful that it worked out for him to NOT be the one staying home. Oddly, though, I sometimes envy those with careers. Hang in there. At least you get to leave at the end of the day! If one day at a time is too much, take it one hour at a time. Maybe there are others in your workplace feeling the same way? I know when I was teaching dance in the evenings, I thought I was the only one miserable over a particular situation. Turns out, all the teachers, and some of the administration felt that way about it, we just all felt so isolated from one another because of the situation. Sending you my best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg-good question. I've always worked, you know how that was the thing to do when I graduated from college. Truth be told, I've always wanted to be a stay at home wife however we never had children and for almost our entire marriage we did need my salary. Now it is different. We don't necessarily need my salary. Because of this I so want to come home and be a stay at home wife. perhaps volunteer or work part time but I am very very tired of full time employment and most things that go with it.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I remember how it was....still is, it seems. I suffered (and still do) a lot of derision for being a college educated SAHM. People can be nasty. So did my mother, but my parents were so liberated, they had no problem telling people to STFU, albeit in an articulate and intelligent way.
      Hope you can find peace. And, hey, it's FRIDAY!

      Delete
    3. I don't understand why this upsets people. It's not like I would be asking for money or something.

      Delete
    4. Exactly! I could go on a diatribe, but it's your blog. Hope your husband comes around. And, hey, Monday is over for the week!

      Delete