Friday, February 17, 2017

Can You do All of Your Grocery Shopping at Aldi

Before I get into the question I want to share something funny.  A year or so ago you could not get my husband to step foot in Aldi.  He says he had a bad experience with bananas once.   They went bad very quickly.  Well................that can happen at any store, can't it?

Anyhoo...............................now he LOVES Aldi because of their prices.  So my question to you is are you able to do your entire grocery run at Aldi?  There are still a few items that I buy at "regular' grocery stores.  I am very picky about my salad dressing.  I only like certain kinds although I am considering trying to make my own.  Thrifymominboise.blogspot.com has shared posts with her homemade dressings and they look really tasty.

Are there certain items that you will buy AT Aldi?  I really love the baby bell peppers in a bag that they sell.  It's cheaper than Kroger in our area.

I'm also hearing some complaints about the prices at Aldi going up.  Have you noticed that in your area?

Right now, we shop at Aldi and Kroger primarily and from time to time will venture to Walmart.  What about ya'll?

6 comments:

  1. I do the bulk of my grocery shopping for staples at Aldi. If I have high value coupons, I will compare prices (around here they are doubled up to $1 so a 75 cent coupon, for example, = $1.50 off). I am pretty much a scratch cook, so I am shopping for ingredients. Now that I live in a city, there are lots of stores competing for my business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so love your blog. You do an amazing job of thriving on a smaller budget while saving at the same time. Keep up the good work!

      Delete
  2. We loved Aldi in the midwest, although it was never 100% of our grocery shop... more like 70-75%. We recently moved to the East... the Aldi's nearby are small, dirty and the prices are high. We still get some things if we are in the area (predominantly prepared items like crackers, chips and basics like flour and sugar)... but aside from that it isn't usually worth the trip. The "regular" grocery store or Costco have much better selections, produce and meats and we have moved online for some non-grocery items (Jet.com, Amazon). Really a shame as we were Aldi loyalists.... Personally, I think they never should have started to take credit cards (and therefore compete with "regular" grocery stores) as it's resulted in the price hikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's very interesting. The Aldi in my little town is really kept up quite well.

      Delete
  3. I cherry pick all the surrounding stores but I live in a grocery store dense area. I buy everything except meats at Aldi only if they are the Best Buy around. Often they are but sometimes they aren't. When they do have huge sales I stock up and either dehydrate or freeze things The Pig beats Aldi's meat prices generally and they butcher everything in house so all things being equal, I buy from them.
    About the stores and cleanliness: there are 2 equal distances from my house. One is always dirty and messy and the other is clean and neat as a pin. I can only guess the difference is in the employees since the clientele is virtually the same

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also do a lot of my shopping at Aldi but there are certain things they don't carry. Or I can, believe it or not, find comparably priced elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete