Monday, October 24, 2016

Monday Mumblings

Every work week starts the same for me.  Sunday flies by and before you know it it is time to go to bed.  Then that wonderful alarm clock goes off to remind me that once again I have to get up and get ready to work.  Work according to a schedule that I'm not that fond of.  Work when I am growing more and more discontent with what I hear and what I've been told.  I so want to be in charge of my time.  How about you?  Are you in charge of your time or do you dance to the beat of your employer?  My employer is a good place to work.  I just want out.  And right now I can't get out due to poor financial decisions made in the past.  Poor money handling skills.  Stupid money handling skills. No discipline.  It didn't seem so odd because so many others were doing the same.  Get up, go to work, come home, go to bed.  Do it all over again.

Now I am almost 55 and I want off of the hamster wheel.  That feeling gets stronger and stronger.  I will accomplish this goal.  I don't know when it will happen but I will accomplish this goal.  There is so much more to life than clocking in.

Oh well.......I must go now.  Have a great Monday!


image:  lovethispic.com

4 comments:

  1. Ha. I woke up wishing I was working,because I am feeling quite put upon. I am a college educated sahm, have been for a long time. But, I wouldn't say I am in charge of my time. I have kids I need to get up and out and about, homework supervised, meals to cook, etc Work, especially in the earlier days, would have been much easier physically. Also, there is a belief that I have "nothing better to do with my time." One ds has echoed this at times. As dh is retired, and was shortly before this ds was born, I think he, and his friends' parents, think we sit around eating bon bons. As a result, this ds, and dd to an extent, seems very unmotivated....smart, but getting f's. I think he believes our house magically runs itself. Poor kid is going to get a rude awakening, and nothing I say is working. He didn't see me in studying in college, or working, as I left work 25 years ago when eldest was born. He didn't see his father taking every flight he could in his early days of flying, or us managing with one vehicle. I sometimes think I would love to go back to work...working mothers seem to get a lot more respect. But, then I realize like my mother before me, that I need to run my house in line with my values. (She was a sahm with two master's degrees.) I am afraid ds and his friends' parents are the people my mother referred to who, when they asked why she thought college was so important if her daughters wanted to be sahms. My mother said, "If you have to ask the question, you'll never understand the answer." Enjoy your week. I am sending you warm thoughts. This too, shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's switch! Just kidding. It is really a shame that there seems to be this war on women working outside the home vs staying at home. For me doubly so because we don't have children and yet I have no desire to climb the corporate ladder. Oh well.......

      Delete
  2. I can say that I feel similarly. I have made good financial decisions that put me in a place to leave, but it's also hard to make the leap. I'm 40, so it's scary to think of leaving the stability. That said, I have plans for the winter/spring to make changes & either find something very flexible down the line, or just take an extended period of time off.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good financial decisions landed us here too. Even before we had kids, we knew we didn't want to sub contract their care. Dh loved his work, it was stable, flexible, paid well with great benefits, so I was the o e who stayed home. Even if we never had kids, I evet would have left work, or switched to something I could do per diem to enjoy time with him. Again, the good financial decisions are what afforded us our freedom to choose...and still does. Good luck with your decision to change....it's exciting!

      Delete