Sunday, October 23, 2016

Homesteading-My Final Frontier?

Homesteading seems to be all the rage right now.  So many people are fed up with their lives that they want to do something completely different.  Many of these people have left the cities and gone rural-farm animals and all.  They are the modern day equivalent of Green Acres.  Now I am NOT belittling them because I find myself drawn to blogs and magazines that speak to these ideals.  No I do not want to go off grid.  I love electricity and running water.  So I will never be one to go off the grid.  But I do like the idea of self sufficiency.  Doing what I can on my property to help my family and hopefully others.  Trouble is we live in a subdivision, in a town that does not allow chickens much less goats or cows etc........So what's a girl to do?  Do we sell the home we have now and move out in the county?  Well the hubster wants to move to downtown Raleigh.  To a condo.  Kind of hard to be a homesteader in downtown Raleigh, ya know?  Myself?  I would love a tiny tiny place maybe out in the county on maybe at the most 1 acre of land.  I really want chickens.  I even have the names picked out already.  Do we stay where we are and start what we can within the confines of our town?  The most we could have is a garden.  We could start to cook from scratch for every meal and also for personal care products.  That could be my own little corner of the homesteading world.  

Do any of you homestead or have the homestead dream?  Do you make as much of your products that you can?  Are you as self sufficient as you want to be?


image: rurallivingtoday.com






4 comments:

  1. We have 15 acres here on an island in the PNW. We grow and can some of our vegetables and fruit. (Green beans, blackberries, apples.) We have run cattle on our property in return for beef, and are able to heat entirely with wood if we chose. We can easily lose power with a good windstorm, which means we lose water, as we are on a well. So, we store lots of water. Any time we empty an appropriate container, (ie, soda bottle), it gets washed and filled with tap water. Our cooktop is gas, but we also have the woodstove. We have been without power in sub freezing temps for 4 days, and while I didn't love being able to flush the toilet only once a day (by pouring the stored water down the bowl) we were well fed and warm.
    You can do urban homesteading. I think homesteading is more an attitude...relying on yourself to run your home, not taking for granted that you will be able to pop in to Walmart to satisfy a need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Meg B that sounds wonderful. I've always wanted to visit the PNW. I am considering urban homesteading. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  2. Homesteading makes me feel all 'Little House on the Prairie'!
    We don't call it that over here and at 7.29 on a Sunday morning my brain is struggling to find the right alternative.
    I too like the idea of being all self sufficient but I too love hot water and electricity! Also, I confess, I think I'm too lazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Urban homesteading has nothing to do with losing electricity. It all depends on where you live and what you want to do.

    I got chickens and asked no one. But, it is against the rules in this town. There are people who "hide" their hens. I only can plant a few plants and most in buckets because of back and knees. I can, freeze, dehydrate. I DO NOT make soap and detergent. But, I do use vinegar instead of many products.

    You can homestead where you are. Put in blueberries instead of shrubs you have. Grow cabbage instead of hosta. Plant a few or lots of tomato plants. I like bell peppers and jalapenos.

    Right now, I am going to plant an indoors salad greens container. I have the seeds to throw into a flower garden to grown mustard greens. You can make a little makeshift greenhouse outdoors. I am going to use a swing set and cover it with plastic. When I say makeshift, I am talking about mostly low structures, anything can be used to shelter plants from winter. I don't know where you live...oh, Raleigh, NC? That is not too cold for a bit of winter gardening.

    You don't have to move to the country. Do a little where you are. Maybe move later. To a condo? nooooo! Urban homesteading has lots of iterations. Check some of them.
    pparsimony

    ReplyDelete