Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Are We as Unhappy as We Seem

Today I noticed something when I was out at lunch.  One of the employees behind the counter was making faces and clearly looked annoyed while taking a customer's order from the drive thru.  Bam!  It hit me like a ton of bricks.  Do I look like that to someone who may see me at my workplace?  and why are so many of us unhappy with our jobs?  Do we have unrealistic bosses?  The coworker from Hades?  Do the hours suck?  Are we getting paid what we think we should?  The questions could go on and on.   Then these questions got me thinking even more.  What can we do about this?


Of course, we could look for other jobs.  That sounds easier than it is though.  Sometimes the grass is NOT always greener on the other side.  What can I do to improve my attitude?  Will my attitude improve IF I were in another position?  Can we financially afford to take a lesser paying job or to simply leave the workplace?  Am I part of the problem or part of the solution?


Our mortgage will be paid off very soon.  Once that occurs I am more free to make workplace decisions.  Believe me, I have these thoughts on a regular basis.  I've worked full time for over 30 years and I am tired of it.  I've spoken of wanting freedom before and I want it even more. 


I really like some blogs out in the blog world that speak to these situations.  Caitflanders.com is just one that I admire.  She's young, got out of debt, works for herself and is living her life on her terms.  Not her company's terms.  She makes intentional decisions from how she spends her money to how she spends her time.  She's decided that minimalism is for her.  Minimalism may not be your cup of tea but you see my point.  It IS HER cup of tea and she is making it a priority. 


What is my cup of tea?  If I get a new cup of tea, will I be happier?  Will the new cup of tea help me achieve my dreams of being free from the workplace?


Cait said in a podcast........change your money and you can change your life.  I think Dave Ramsey is kind of along those lines as well but for some reason it really spoke to me when I heard it on her podcast.  Change. my. money. Change. my. life.


I live that thought.  Perhaps others would be happier as well.


Thoughts?





2 comments:

  1. I think it's prioritizing. I knew I wanted to be a sahm, so we set out early on to make that a reality. For instance, we had one vehicle for many years which meant often I was "stuck" at home, but I never saw it that way. I could spend days without leaving the house, (running and walks don't count). Any inconveniences over the scrimping we did in those early days was far nicer than sub contracting our childrens' care, or having the chaos of the daycare, work, rushed or takeout dinners. Again, you have to be honest with yourself about what want, and then refuse to make apologies for your choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. I am going to think about it for while, I imagine. Maybe life was easier when humans had fewer options.

    ReplyDelete