Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Work Parties

Lawd have mercy, we had the mother of work parties yesterday.  Now in all fairness it was for a close coworker who will be leaving our department for another one.  And.............I did agree to help to put it together so I can't be too annoyed but.................it sure cost me a lot of money.  I bought items like paper plates, napkins, plastic cloths in addition to the food I brought and the gift.


Now before the environment police go off on the paper and plastic products-just don't.  We do not have plates at my workplace for 6o people.  And if I did have actual tablecloths I would not bring them to work as they would get ruined.  I don't know about your place of work but it can be brutal here with the mess that is made at these things. 


I also need to add that the party took place at work during the day so it would be very noticeable if I didn't partake.


For those who work outside of the home or used to--do you participate in these activities? I couldn't really say no because the party was for my manager and it would look really bad if I was the only one not joining in on the festivities.  Was there a dollar limit you would not go over?  Do you have a signature food item you bring and is tasty and economical to boot?  If you don't participate, do you ever get rude comments or do people pretty much leave you alone?


This experience, while it was really nice, and everyone enjoyed it has me really thinking SIMPLIFY SIMPLIFY!



6 comments:

  1. These days I participate as a guest at selective functions. I used to bring food but got tired of killing myself to feed the folks at work, most of whom I couldn't give a rat's behind about.

    As for money, other than the potluck contributions, my company reimbursed us for all costs so that is never an issue.

    Our issue has always been that the women in the department are always tasked with organizing these types of things, like we are genetically gifted at party planning. A load of crap! So after 24 years of this I head for the hills anymore.

    Yours, DeeCee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true but I do not have the party planning gene at all. Originally my plan was to simply bring food but then decorations got involved and it was a slippery slope from there. I had excellent help from a coworker though.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes it is easiest/best to just go with the flow. The decorations thing leaves me a little flat though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally understand the paper plates, plastic forks, table cloths. Did you get them at the dollar store? Yes, former job had numerous celebrations, with one staff member really pushing to impress, listing expensive "suggestions." I would make a quiche/frittata once/year (eggs were expensive and cheese remains so), but would offer more economical dishes at other times. Season dependant, along with my access to affordable produce, I'd bring a tossed salad, tuna-pasta salad, 3 or more bean salad, chicken salad, etc. HTH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have gone to the dollar store.

      Delete
  4. SO happy that at my new job (almost 2 years now) we celebrate NOTHING. No birthdays, no Christmas, et al. We did both at my last job but there were only 4 of us. At my new job, depending on the day, there can be between 5 and 10.

    ReplyDelete