Sunday, August 28, 2016

Stocking the Pantry

Stocking the pantry, a topic that many a blogger discusses.  Some have massive pantries that are not only functional but so beautifully decorated.  I sit in awe of them.  I mean some are decorated nicer than my home.  LOL.  I think to myself------how much time is devoted to this and then how much money did this cost?  Then there are bloggers that have very limited pantries due to finances or space or a combination of the two.  One of my favorite bloggers, Brenda, has a limited pantry because both her and her spouse are disabled and they live on a very. tight.budget.............but she does not allow those budgetary confines to get in the way of providing good food for family and hospitality to friends.  She has to keep a close watch on what she needs vs what funds she has available to spend on those needs.

So all of this leads me to this question-how much do you like to have on hand at all times to feel like you have it under control?  Now we do not have much room at all in our home so that does impact how much we can have on hand but there are some things that I like to have 5 or 6 of, like Rotel or the generic variety.  The generic kind is usually a good 25-45 cents cheaper.  Another item I like to have on hand is cream cheese, especially when I can find it for 1.00.  Cream cheese keeps for a long time and comes in handy when making tailgate recipes for football games.  It makes my mouth water just thinking of  2 blocks of cream cheese, a can of Rotel and a pound of sausage.  Oh my, put them in a crock pot and voila! Deliciousness! I like to have several cans of various types of veggies like french style green beans, corn, beans (black and chili), cream of fill in the blank soups.  You know those basics.  I bought a can of potatoes mixed with red and green peppers from Walmart that were oh my so good!  I think it was the Great Value brand but I can't remember.  I usually buy just one when I am trying a new thing.  I need to go back and get more.  It was delicious in my chicken pot pie.  OH and CHEESE.  Cheese is a must have for us.  The more the merrier.  Flavors range from american to cheddar to feta and everything in between.  You can never have too much cheese.
Peanut butter is also one of those items that I like to buy 3 at a time if it is $1.79 or lower for 18 ounces.  I mean, why is peanut butter so expensive?  

I'm not a huge baker so just one package of flour and one package of various types of sugars suits our needs.  Now someone who is an amazing baker needs much more than that.

We do keep a lot of spices and sauces on hand to make those everyday blah dishes just a bit more exciting and thanks to stores like Aldi and the Dollar Tree, you can get spices for really cheap prices.  I would also throw out there that the spices at Penzeys are great as well.  One thing great about Penzeys is you can buy what you need plus they have some great free items quite often.  So don't let their regular prices keep you away.

Sometime in the next few months most stores will have some good deals on baking goods and turkeys and anything associated with Thanksgiving and Christmas.    I wish we had a deep freezer to be able to stock up on turkeys but we only have the freezer on top of the frig and in all honesty we don't have room for it anywhere else.

Do you cook casseroles and bake cakes ahead of time and put in the freezer to take out when needed?
Wow, this topic could be discussed for days, couldn't it?  Well ya'll have a good night!




2 comments:

  1. You can go to youtube and search for "pantry." "Food storage" will get you there, too. Have you seen those videos? I almost died reading about dairy products since I cannot have those. I will probably have cheese dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leanne,

    I like to stock up for at least three months.But I have one exception, things that go rock bottom in Nov. and Dec. that are at rock bottom prices like turkeys, baking items and cranberries, I stock for a year.

    ReplyDelete