Monday, April 4, 2016

What Defines Essential

I know the basics of food, water and shelter but then there is all of the other stuff.  Now I know that some will say all of the other stuff is non-essential and while yes that is true, I daresay that most of us will not cut out everything.  I am finding it quite hard to come up with an essential list.


Like personal toiletries.  The usual suspects are soap, deodorant, lotion, toothpaste, floss, shampoo.  However I also wear makeup.  Not a lot but I am so pale that I feel I look much better not the least, to say I look alive with some coverage.  I wear foundation, eye shadow, mascara and a tinted lip balm.  I have tons of make up sitting around.  I am toying with the idea of chunking it.  Yep, you read that right!  Chunk it all out except for what I use.  It will take up less space and I won't have to decided what colors to use.  My concern is I will buy again to replace what I've thrown out.


Do you wear makeup?  If so, what do you wear?  Are you willing to go without to simplify?


Then we can go to clothes and shoes and the list goes on and on.  I really need work clothes and I need good shoes since I had a major surgery a few years back.  Most of my shoes are black Clarks.  Expensive yes but I can't wear the cheapos you get at some of the well known stores.


Sheets and towels.  I know you CAN have too many but where is that line?  I live to have at least 3 sets of sheets.  One on the bed and the other two waiting for rotation.  I guess I could narrow it down to 2.   Towels?  I use washcloths pretty much every day so I have to quite a few of those on hand.  I do not put my towel in the dirty bin after only one use.  I will dry off a few times before I put in the bin.  Do you use a new towel each time?




So.................right now I am really taking a good long look at what we use, what can I throw away or take to a thrift store. I want it out! 


What are your essentials?

5 comments:

  1. You made me ponder a few things. I am a makeup wearer and only go without it on the days I don't leave the house, which is few and far between. On a regular day I wear under eye concealer,foundation, blush, tinted lip balm, brow powder and eyeliner. Extras are mascara (which I need daily but I have allergy issues so I use it sparingly) setting powder, eyeshadow and lipstick. I am down to 1 palette of eyeshadow, 2 lipsticks, and 1 tinted balm. I decided I would not repurchase the things I tossed and so far I haven't. What I can't get rid of are all the potions and lotions!
    I keep 2 sets of sheets for each bed and I am ashamed to admit I hang and reuse the towel I use for my hair, but use a clean body towel each time. I also use 2 clean washcloths daily. When you figure out how to simplify please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee-a healthy exercise is reevaluating current practices, making adjustments, one at a time to see if they work for your personal situation. I suggest making a list of possible areas tweak, work your way thru them. Sometimes the final decision is to keep doing what you have always done. Bin up the extra make up, store it for a predetermined amount of time, then sell/donate/toss. Do the same with all identified areas. One thought on linens/towels/clothes: the amount NEEDED is what is worn before laundering day. I have 4 pairs of black dress pants for work. I will launder them by the time Fri comes round so this is a good number for me. You work/casual wardrobes may differ from mine, but I suspect everyone has excess in their closets. It's an area I willl soon be working on. I am moving, so paring down possessions. It's leaving my closet. HTH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done that with the makeup in a round about way. that kind of gives me the umph I need to get rid of it. I can't sell or donate because all of them have been used at some point. Thanks for the advice!

      Delete
  3. If you have 3 sets of sheets for the bed that doesn't seem like an excessive amount. Unless you are that tight for storage space for linens I wouldn't purge those. Just don't rebuy when 1 set wears out and that gets you to 2 sets.

    I am not one to only use a towel for one drying off. After all, you get out of the shower/tub clean so it's just water and not dirt. I suppose if I was one to go through 1 towel a day I'd need quite a stash of those.

    ReplyDelete