Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Upcoming Surgery and Medical Accounts?

The hubster will be having surgery later on this month, nothing major but it does need to be done.  I had him call his insurance company yesterday to confirm his deductible and co-insurance.  It looks like after everything is said and done that we will be responsible for up to $3400.00.  Gulp!  I'm not worried, like I would have been in the past, because we do have this in our emergency fund plus some.  But this has me thinking should we have a medical account since this is technically not an emergency but I don't want to charge it so we will take the expenses out of there to avoid debt.  Does that make sense?


Do you have a separate medical account?  If so, how much do you put in?  Enough to cover surgery or just regular expenses?


Thanks for your input!

4 comments:

  1. I have a high deduductible w/ a HSA. Knowing that my max out of pocket would be $4000 if I stay in plan, I deposit $4000 into my HSA. I then have a $2000 3 tier co-pay system on RX only-again in plan. Oncce I hit that $6000 mark, everything is free. Even with several of us on maintenance RX, we won't hit that, but I still set aside the additional $2000 to offset any RX co-pays and to establish a cushion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So this is in addition to an emergency fund? Wow. I've got a lot of work to do. I have a PPO plan and dh has the state health plan @ 80/20

      Delete
  2. Is there a reason why you (dh an dyou) arren't just on one ins plan together? have you compared costs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Premiums would be too much. If he added me his premium would increase by over 400 a month. If I added him to mine it would be pretty much the same.

      Delete