Thursday, February 4, 2016

Debit vs Credit

I made some calls today to get estimates of our costs for the hubster's surgery.   All told we will owe over 3000. I have enough in the emergency fund to pay so in not in a panic. My question is whether to use the debit vs credit card. We get points for each dollar we charge on it. Those points can be used for gift cards to various stores and restaurants. If I charge it I will then write a check to cover. What would you do?

Also look at what I got in the mail today!! A new Penzeys catalog 

6 comments:

  1. Around here, I am able to contact the financial services dept of the local hospital and make arrangements to go on a no interest payment plan-just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about that. I don't want a bill hanging over my head if at all possible. On one hand I don't like to deplete the emergency fund but.....This will leave me with a tad over $6000 in my EF. I know, woefully small, however this time last year it was maybe $1000.00 so I've made great strides in 2015. Much room for improvement.

      Delete
  2. I would put it on the credit card & get the points as long as you are going to pay it all off & not pay interest. Our hospital also does what CTMOM said & I believe you could still pay with the card just do it monthly.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I use the credit card I will for sure pay it off. I was thinking of being able to use store gift cards or perhaps a restaurant.

      Delete
  3. Another thought on this is that some hospitals & Dr offices around here will give a discount on your portion if you tell them you can pay it all at once with cash or a check. I had surgery about a year ago & when I asked about this I was able to get 2 of the providers to give a discount this way, one was 25%. The worst can happen is they say no.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete