Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Who Handles the Bills in Your Home?

The reason I ask is I was talking to my brother last night and he was trying to pay their bills online.  He's never done it before.  His wife took care of all of it.  She was very organized, wrote stuff down of the calendar to make sure they got done etc....................He told me he was having to learn how to do this and hoping that he did it correctly.  He is a very smart person but since his wife took care of those bills he never felt the need to get involved.  Now to be fair, he travels alot, especially of the country so it was probably easier for her to take care of it.  My point is both spouses need to be able to pay the bills in times like this.  I know that when my mother died my father forgot to pay the phone bill and the phone got disconnected.  He never paid the bills either and just never thought about it.  I've been after my husband for months to sit with me and learn how to pay online bills but he seems hesitant.  For some reason it seems to intimidate him.  I am hoping that this event will make him realize that he needs to learn how to pay the bills too. 

If you are married do both of you know how to pay the bills?  Seems pretty easy but boy if you've never done it it can seem very hard!

4 comments:

  1. Hubby and I took turns- I'd pay for a few months and then he'd take over. It is so much easier today with the internet! The only check I write is for the pest man. I do that instead of debit so I can 'draw' it out LOL. I swear as soon as they do the yard, they call wanting to do it again but they won't until they are paid!!! BTW I used to live in Blue Bell, Pa. Do you know where it is? I loved it there but DH was trransferred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always taken care of the bills, the budget, keeping a paper ledger in the same 3 ring binder for years. although I tried, do remained indifferent of disinterested, happily turning all if that over to me. when I left, there was a serious learning curve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how, as Iived on my own after college, before we married. Dh does all the bill paying now...most of it is auto pay. He does it because it is mostly online, which irritates me. Our bills, since we have no debt, not even a mortgage, are utilities, insurance and charges, which we pay off monthly. He is very good about monitoring the accounts too, catching errors. As he is much older than me, I keep abreast of it, but happily let him take over this when he retired. I envision his last words to me being "Don't forget to check with Citibank."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do all the bill paying, mainly because I don't work, and DH travels. I would say if I left the bills up to him, we would be getting a lot of phone calls regarding late payments! I do 98% online, and have a little book that I have written all the passwords to each account. I think I need to update it though, as to what gets paid and when. I seriously don't think my husband even knows when his payday is!

    ReplyDelete