Sunday, August 9, 2015

When Life Throws a Major Curveball

I got a phone call early this morning.  You know one of the calls that you know is bad news before you pick up the phone.  It was my brother.  His wife died suddenly last night of an apparent heart attack.  Just 61 years old.  That's not how I envisioned our day to start to say the least.

It's given me much to think about.  They live out of country so right now there isn't much I can do until I know what the plans are.  This was so out of left field, no one saw this coming.  What would I do if this happened to me?  How would I be financially speaking after the dust settles.  After insurance claims are paid?  How would I survive?

I read a lot of survival blogs but those don't really deal with death?

Do you have a will?  Who are the beneficiaries on your life insurance plans?  If you a person of faith do you know what kind of service you want?  I know none of us enjoy thinking about this but it really needs to be done.  Being PREPARED will save everyone time and worry.  My brother is so turned upside down right now.  Nothing makes sense to him.  Plans are not final yet.

I've got so much junk just lying around.  I've got to purge.  I would not want anyone to have to clean it up.

Do any of you have experience with this?

6 comments:

  1. so sorry for your family,s sudden loss. agree whole heartedly that the best gift one can give one,s family is to have one,s affairs in order. I first made a will when I married, and we both had life ins plans that would cover funeral costs, pay off the house, the surviving partner could easily live afterwards. Once pregnant with child number one, a living will was drawn up, the existing will modified, life ins amped up, also including funds to help with college. fast forward and when I divorced, again a new will, a new living will and I had a trust prepared so my kids won,t really have to deal with probate. everything is spelled out, my wishes clearly expressed. there us a chain of command as to who wil be my executor, who nearly has to contact my attorney, should something happen. not a pleasant part of life, but a necessity. again, my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CTMOM I am so impressed and inspired by you. You really have your bases covered and your finances in line. My hats off to you. I'd love to have you as a neighbor.

      Delete
  2. Ironically, I clicked on your blog this morning. My husband died suddenly 20 years ago when I was 47 and he was 48. We had a daughter who had just graduated from college, a son who had just finished his sophomore year in college and an 8 year old. We had a will- I got everything- and DH had life insurance and worked for a major corporation. My family who all lived a thousand miles away rallied and my sisters heped me with funeral arrangements. I went to social security and was set up with it for 8 year old. All my funds went into a money market fund except for SS. I left the funds in the 401 alone. It was a trying time but I made it through the first year. I had a very loving church family and good neighbors. After the second year, I decided to sell my house and relocate closer to one of my adult kids. Still there...Advice to your BIL, don't make a lot of changes right away. You will be in shock. I think many men remarry soon after because they feel so lost. I kept busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he will make major plans but then again you never know. He lives in Canada so I don't know if he will come back to the States sooner than planned. Good advice!

      Delete
  3. I am sorry to hear your family is facing this difficult time. I agree with Nan, tell your brother not to make any big life decisions/changes(beyond the ones he has to make now).
    Life gets in the way while we make plans. Learn the lessons her passing can teach you and implement them when it's time.

    Prayers for healing and understanding go out to you and your brother's family.

    ReplyDelete