Saturday, July 11, 2015

My First Prepper Expo

So the hubster and I went to our first Prepper expo today. I did not know what to expect. I'd say it was a cross between doomsday Preppers and your basic homemaker canning. 

The majority of the people that attended the seminars were like me:  they were there to get information. 

They did speak of bug out bags and locations. To be honest I doubt most folks can afford a bug out location. We can however put together "bug out bags" for our vehicles and homes. The basic level is a 3 day bag. The scenario used today was what would you do if there was a solar flare that caused electronic outages. This would most likely affect your car. Would you have a bag or supplies in your car like water to tide you over in case you had to walk home. Now if you think this is wacky you could always pretend you're in a traffic jam due to some type of natural disaster or snowstorm. You're stuck on a road and it looks like it's going to be a long time before help arrives. Do you have anything in your car that you can use for food, water or warmth?  You don't want to run all your gas out. Extra blankets would come in handy. Also gloves, socks maybe a toboggan. Some granola bars or crackers would tide you over. Bottled water would be helpful as well. The man today recommended having smaller sizes because if you keep larger bottles it could give one the impression that you have plenty therefore you may eat or drink more than you should. 

Another session was on canning. Turns out the speaker was from a blog I read.   She made canning seem not do scary. I've never canned but have been interested for some time but I've always been a bit intimidated by the subject. Very few of the attendees were canning already so it was great to be with other newbies. 

Today has given me more to think about. I will say that folks there are also of the opinion that something like an economic downturn will occur sooner rather than later. Everything we can do today to prepare is one thing less to worry about. Now some of you could eat out your pantry for weeks on end and be fine. I dare say that most are like me. Not so much prepared and wishing you'd been smarter with your money years ago. There's no reason to cry over spilled milk now. Get over it and get on with it. And do something to put yourself in a better position. 


1 comment:

  1. Heh. If you grew up where I did, you always kept blankets, extra boots, coats and breakfast bars in your trunk...at least in winter!

    ReplyDelete