Monday, October 13, 2014

An Aldi Rookie

I keep hearing how great the prices are at Aldi and I have gone there a few times.  I've never really been impressed.  However I found out that our town, Garner will be getting an Aldi soon.  I've really become quite impressed with Kristen @ thefrugalgirl.com.  She does alot of her grocery shopping at Aldi for her family of 6.  She even helped host a baby shower back this past summer and used.....guess what food from Aldi.  It looked wonderful but better yet it looked delicious.  


So in an attempt to get control of the grocery bills and to learn how to cook more from scratch because that is what Kristen does I am going to start shopping there more often and see how I do.  Her food always looks so yummy without being fussy so I hope, no I know I can do the same.  

Do you shop at Aldi?  Are there items you love, love LOVE and on the flipside are there items you hate, hate, HATE?


This little bit cost a tad under $20.  The most expensive item was the large frozen deveined and peeled shrimp with tails on.  It was $7.49.  I lost my receipt so I don't know the exact cost of each item.  
Lets'see I bought the shrimp, organic frozen strawberries, 3 bell peppers, bag of chips, bar of chocolate to make chocolate covered strawberries, cocktail sauce, horseradish and a bag to keep cold foods cold.



Oh well..................wish me luck!!








6 comments:

  1. 99.9% of my food shopping now is done at Aldi. It's been over 2 years now and on average, I save 50% from what other grocery stores around me charge. I was a little skeptical at first. You must, must, must read the labels. My husband is preservative sensitive, so I have to be careful what I buy. So, so happy Aldi finally has organic and gluten-free.
    Their eggs are fantastic! As well as their other basics (milk, bread, butter etc.) It will take you a while to figure out what you yourself will like or dislike. Our motto here, at our house is: If Aldi doesn't sell it, we're not eating it.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: if you buy a product Aldi sells that you don't like, bring it back for a full refund.

      Delete
    2. Wow!! Thank you so much for the info. I really need to cut back because I keep hearing that the economy will tank again next year. It could be worse than 2008. Anything that can be saved will be!!

      Delete
  2. I shop at Aldi and really see the savings compared to the mainstream grocery stores. It really depends on what you are buying in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aldi's has been in our Illinois suburban area for many years. I first shop at Aldi's and if they don't have it I go to our Meijer store. My groceries are half of what they would be if I had just to go to Meijer's. Their meats are getting better. Their crackers are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've shopped Aldi's for a long time now, initially driving once a month to one that is 45 minutes away (coordinated with Angel Food pickup, so only 15 minutes further out). Luckily, there is now one close to me. I buy the bulk of our staples there: crackers, hot and cold cereal, coffee, sliced cheese, block cheese, butter, milk, 1/2 & 1/2, fzn OJ, bottled juices, toilet paper, tissues, canned veg and fruit, canned tuna and salmon, etc. A real opportunity to save money over the traditional grocery store.

    ReplyDelete