Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Supporting Local Business vs Saving Money

Where do you stand?  Example:  another snow storm is coming this way.  Big difference this time.  Ice is expected.  The news in their attempt to scare the wits out of everyone, is saying to be prepared for power outages.  Well this part of G'town loses power at the drop of a hat.  We have a very small portable propane heater that is safe for indoor use.  It uses the small 1 pound containers of propane, like the ones used in camping. 

I can buy 2 at Target for $5.99.  They are $3.99 a piece at the local hardware store, not a big box.  A family run local hardware store.  Even if you plan ahead, where do you spend your hard earned dollars?  Some say they go where they can save the most $$ while others say they support local over big box any chance they get.

Where do ya'll stand?

2 comments:

  1. I struggle with this. If its not a huge difference in price and convenient for me to run in somewhere local, then I buy local. I feel like I should do it more though. I'll even shop at big box stores as opposed to purchasing online because then local people's jobs are still being supported. But sometimes it's just too easy to sit at home and shop online.

    That's not a really clear answer is it. I guess it just depends on my mood at the time I need to purchase something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy my groceries and goods where I can get the best quality at the best price. For services, I try to shop locally first. My business /loyalty is something to be earned, local or big box.

    ReplyDelete