Thursday, February 20, 2014

Show love and concern for those undergoing medical procedures

I read a blogger friend's  blog today.  Her mom had a procedure and she was concerned and nervous even though she is in the medical field.  Well I am here to tell you that NOTHING is ever routine when it happens to you or your loved ones and I know from personal experience.  Let me share a bit:

My mom had Good Pasteur's Syndrome, a kidney disease. She did dialysis daily at home several times a day.  This disease has no cure.  She dialyzed herself wrong onetime and got an infection called peritonitis. She said it was the most painful thing she ever experienced.  She went into the hospital to have her catheter replaced.  A very routine, common procedure.  She had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic given to her in the O.R.  She went into cardiac arrest.  From there she was in a coma for over 2 weeks and then she passed away.  In between, she suffered such massive brain damage that had she survived she would've been placed in some kind of facility.  Each day she would withdraw more and more into the fetal position in her hospital bed.  She was so swollen, almost unrecognizable.  I would not wish this event on anyone.  It was hard to go through and the ONLY thing that got me through was my faith in God and His Son Jesus Christ and my dear husband.   I had spoken to her just the day prior to her procedure.  She said to call her because she should only be in the O.R. just a few minutes.  That was in 1987.  Fast forward to 2000, my father had surgery to remove his colon.  The next day a blood clot broke loose and he had to put on a respirator.  I had to get him to agree to it because he had signed legal documents to not keep him alive, after everything that happened to my mom.  His body slowly started shutting down and he died the next night.    I've been through the ringer when it comes to surgeries and simple routine procedures. 

Never feel bad for being nervous or worried.  That's natural.  That only shows your love and concern. 

If you know of anyone who is going through some kind of procedure or they have family members who are, show that you care.  Pray for them.  Just knowing that there people out there who love you and pray for you is an awesome feeling.   At the time I was going through all this I did not have a blog family that I could reach out to and ask for help. 

Can you run some errands for them?  Can you sit with them at the hospital?  Can you provide food or a gift card to a restaurant?  Provide a cup of coffee?  It doesn't really take much to reach out to others. 

I think this is just way to show hospitality to others.  One of the areas that I hope to improve on this year.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your support. You know to well what can go wrong through a personal experience and I know from personal and through being on the other side of the desk. My father went in to have a simple feeding tube access replacement, within a few days he went septic and passed away. So nothing is simple. Nothing is easy. And after losing Will this year to a brain annyurism believe me I take nothing for granted.

    But I thank everyone for there support and for my daughter boyfriends mom who brought over dinner when she didn't have to. And all the prayers and good thoughts I was sent. When it comes to those you love the pain and fear is real.

    ReplyDelete