Wednesday, December 11, 2013

2014-Year of Frugal Living

Ok, I got Judy, one of my fave bloggers on board for the 2014 Year of Frugal Living extravaganza.  I know there has to more of ya'll out there.
How do I plan on accomplishing this feat?  I'm really thinking about it.  I am planning on stockpiling on items as much as I can before the end of 2013.  Items like bathroom tissue, paper towels, laundry detergent, fabric softener, toothpaste, soap/body wash, body lotion, dish detergent for hand washing and machine.  I'm sure there are items I've forgotten but the reason I am doing this is:

  1. I have the money now to buy these items in bulk
  2. Buying as much as possible will keep me out of stores next year.  I don't know about ya'll but I can go to the store to get toothpaste and come out with a cart full of stuff.  All of which I think I need!!
  3. The money I won't be spending in 2014 will go to the old money market account. 
  4. I do have about $300.00 in credit card debt.  That will be taken care of when dh gets paid this month.


I can't really stock on food so much because I don't have a lot of storage for that.  I just have the freezer above the fridge, very few cabinets and a small pantry.  It really is the size of a small coat closet.  So I can't take advantage of great meat deals, although those don't really happen that often anymore.

A big issue for me will be staying out of Barnes and Noble.  I love love love books.  Yes I know I can go the library but I still buy books AND magazines.  Oh goodness do I buy magazines.
Another issue will be going out to eat.  I don't think that area will be cut out entirely.  See I'm not the greatest cook in the world and................my dh really enjoys going out once a week.  I don't think I can say no to that because he works 2 jobs and sometimes he just wants to unwind somewhere out of the house.  Now we can improve on how often we go out and which restaurants we go to.  I'd like to try some new ones next year.  You know the whole try local schmocal thing.  I think if we go out less then maybe we can afford some of the local establishments as they tend to be more expensive than chain restaurants.
And of course there is the groceries to buy.  That will need to be worked on.  Hey Judy, how in the world do you spend $200.00 a month for 4 people?  That is awesome!!!  We could use you at my church giving classes like you are now.  I'd sign up even though I am not in dire straits. 
I'm not a big coffee snob.  I will every once in awhile buy a mocha or latte.  I don't think I will have to give those up as they are few and far between.  In fact, I could before the end of 2013, get a gift card and use that for awhile into next year.
I will need to take my lunch to work EVERY day.  I average 3-4 days a week.  It's not always leftovers though, I tend to buy Lean Cuisines or Weight Watchers or Stouffers Mac and Cheese and that of course adds to the grocery expenses. 
Do ya'll make a menu plan and then shop or shop according to deals and make a menu plan from that?
I'm really annoyed with myself because I am 52 years old and really should have a lot more saved up but I'm through beating myself up over it, nothing I can about that now.  I can repent, which means to turn around, pick myself up and walk on.

Cheers!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally in. I'm trying to make some major gains in our savings in 2014. My goal is to cut back to $100 a week on groceries by meal planning and stocking up when things are cheap. $100 a week is hard for us for 4 people, I couldn't imagine spending only $50 a week. I can do it if I make a list and stick to it, build a meal plan around what we already have and cooking double recipes at a time so I can freeze leftovers for another meal later in the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I look forward to hearing about your progress and learning from you as well. Cheers!

      Delete