Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Here's my gift to you

I know this post will not be liked by all and I certainly hope you will continue to read even if you disagree. So BE WARNED: During this Christmas and New Year season we will be bombarded with requests to help feed and clothe the homeless, the people who are down on their luck. And some of us will dig DEEP down in the ole pantry and get out a few cans of cream of mushroom soup and some beans and put these in the bin at church or the local grocery store and pat ourselves on the back. Yep we done good. You know, people need help year round. It is true that it is especially hard at Christmas since parents want to be able to give some gifts and such but still the need is there year round. They need food on their table and in their pantry. It doesn't have to be organic, free range, chemical free food but it can be vegetables, staples, fruit etc........People need new clothing all during the year, not just during Christmas. And please when donating clothing we should all ask, would I really wear this? If it has holes and stains please just cut it up for rags because folks down on their luck want to look nice too. Or do we feel better if folks "look" needy? I bet all of us have a coworker or fellow parishioner who is THIS CLOSE to having to go to a food bank or the government assistance office. They keep it to themselves because they are ashamed and fear the reactions they will receive. They don't look needy, they don't look hungry. They don't look like their power just got cut off and their next pay check is a few days away. So my gift to me and all of us is this: pay attention to what is going on around you. Watch for subtle signs, listen to what is being said. Sometimes we can learn of these situations. Yes please donate to all of the organizations and groups that you can afford to give to. Give to needy families in your church, or workplace or neighborhood. If you can't afford to give items maybe you can babysit for a lady who needs to go on a job interview, maybe rake the yard, fix something that is broken. But please don't stop once the calendar says January 1, 2014. Even if those folks don't need help, someone else will. And for those that I've royally ticked off, I am speaking to myself just as much as you. The Bible tells us to show mercy, to live mercy to be merciful. To help the orphans and widows. I've yet to find a scripture that says we can only help those who we think truly deserves it. So that is my gift to all of you and me today!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I have one other suggestion to add: Don't give people the food in your cabinet that is swollen or three years out of date. I actually saw this happen.
    Practical Parsimony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I read a book once that in Philly a huge church gave some microwave popcorn to folks while the Mob gave turkeys during the holidays. Now I have no idea of the validity of this story but sadly I would not be surprised if it were true.

      Delete